Monday, November 30, 2009

When did women start to wear lipgloss instead of lip stick.?

I know lots of people still do wear lip stick but when did lip gloss become popular?When did women start to wear lipgloss instead of lip stick.?
Max Factor had the most wonderful pots of gooey, shiny,yummy, lip gloss in the late 60s, early 70s. I don't remember before then, but I remember when that stuff came out it was everywhere!When did women start to wear lipgloss instead of lip stick.?
It tends to be a personal preference. It's been around since the early


70's, when hippie girls went ala natural in make up. Some did wear


eye shadow and mascara, but those who really lived a hippie lifestyle


tended to not wear makeup. Their husbands and boyfriends preferred


the natural look and also wanted their women to have long hair down


their backs.


I have a friend, who never liked wearing makeup especially lipstick.


She didn't like the greasy taste of it. Somewhere after her kids were


grown, she started wearing chapstick alot during winter. And then


started wearing lip glosss after awhile longer.


Myself, I always preferred lipstick for color on my lips. And I would


add a bit of lip gloss over the lipstick for more shine at night if I was


going somewhere. I think too, that some women feel lip gloss makes


their lips more inviting to kiss.
some type of lip gloss has been around for over 100 years. My grandmother was born in 1887 and she said that when she was a young girl she wore Vaseline on her lips to make them look shinny and it also brought out the natural color of her lips. Some women used berries to give their lips a red look and then put Vaseline over it so it would not come off so easy.
Like some others mentioned it seemed ( from what I hear ) to become popular in the 60's/70's.....although I'm not sure if you are asking when did it originally become popular or when did it become popular ( most recently ) again?


Just like all trends they come and go......and usually come back again.
women over 50 generally wear lipstick, under 30 lip gloss, 30 to 50 depends on the occasion, lipstick is more appropriate for dressier occasions, the color is stronger and lasts longer.
I remember it becoming popular in the 60s. Prior to that, I don't believe it existed, but I could be wrong. I was wrong one other time, but then I found out I was wrong about being wrong.
I started wearing Yardley lip gloss in the late 1960s, I started out wearing Vasoline until I earned enough money babysitting to buy the lip gloss.





I still wear tinted lip gloss, just not the very shiny kind.
It was in the sixties...I remember Yardley's ';good morning slicker';, and loved it. I still wear lip gloss yea, even today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lip_gloss
Max Factor invented it in the 30's but I think it was only used in the movies until Yardley came out with one in the 60's.
My daughters wore it - I think in the 60's and 70's - I haven't seen my grand kid's wearing it.





I have always wore lipstick.





DeeJay.
I remember when Yardley Slicker came out. That was in the 60s, so I guess it's been around for awhile.
I think lip gloss came out in the late 60's!
Idk...I do remember wearing it in the 70's. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting plans